Volunteering should be something that you choose to do and that you enjoy doing.
It is a two-way relationship which should benefit you and the people, organisation or service that you would like to helping.
People of all ages and backgrounds can and do volunteer.
Before you decide to volunteer, you might find it useful to ask yourself some of these questions:
- Why do I want to volunteer?
- What do I enjoy doing?
- What skills do I have?
- What skills do I want to learn?
- How much time can I give?
The benefits of volunteering are varied, you can:
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Learn new skills / gain different experiences
- Help your career prospects
- Have fun and combine your interests / use existing skills
- Put something back into the community
- Keep yourself active and occupied