Play and Learn
Children centres run Play and Learn sessions for children aged birth to five, and their families, to learn, play and explore together. You can join in the activities, meet new friends and have fun learning together through play. The sessions are run by friendly, experienced Early Years Practitioners who can offer support and advice to support you and your child, this includes information on child development, health, well-being, free nursery places and parenting.
It is recommended that young children are active for between one and three hours a day. From birth to five years, physical activity is critical for proper growth and development. It provides immediate and long term benefits for physical and psychological well-being.
The benefits of physical activity include:
- aid to academic learning and concentration
- reducing obesity
- produces endorphins and gives a sense of well-being
- improved sleep and more energy
- develops physical skills, for example balance and coordination
- develops social skills by learning how to interact with others and take turns.
Physical activity can be either indoors or outdoors.